Hello everyone! I hope you’re all having a wonderful day! Since I’m going on holiday on Saturday I thought I’d do a little post on the things that I do to beat my nervous thoughts and feelings towards flying!
I used to absolutely LOVE flying but as soon as I hit 16 it just made me super nervous and I would often boarder-line having panic attacks in the airport especially if I was travelling alone. Since my Dad lived in America and later on Jakarta I had to push my self into flying otherwise I wouldn’t get to see him and so I did a lot of research and put together a few little tips that now help me a lot.
- Bach Rescue Pastilles – these are hella expensive at £5.39 per tin! However, they taste nice and do seem to work. The active ingredients are; Star of Bethlehem: For trauma and shock; Clematis: For the tendency to “pass out”, and unconsciousness, being ‘far away’ and not present mentally; Cherry Plum: Fear of mind giving way, verge of breakdown, anger; Impatiens: For irritability, tension and fidgety; and Rock Rose: For frozen terror and panic. I use these anytime I have feelings of anxiety and panic and it is uncommon for me to go anywhere without them now! 100% worth the money in my eyes.
- Colouring in! Colouring in as an adult is super underrated. I absolutely love the zentangle style colouring books, I find them really relaxing and they really help to take your mind off any worries. I use this when I have a lot of free time on my own to distract myself from feeling worried and scared. The concentration of making sure all the colours are in the right place really works. Obviously it’s a little more difficult on a flight as there is less space but I’ve seen some mini colouring books which are ideal!
- Writing. This could be making goals, lists, writing your feelings or maybe writing a story for those with an imagination. I find it much easier to come up with ideas about blog posts while on a flight or anywhere that isn’t at home. I’m not entirely sure why but the feeling of coming home with a bunch of ideas is so fulfilling. I rarely go anywhere without having some kind of notebook with me so that if I do have an idea pop into my head I can write it down straight away.
- Snacks! Snacks are great on a flight. Whether you indulge like me and buy delicious chocolate or you pick up some fruit it really doesn’t matter. Having something to munch on is a perfect distraction while also making you happy!
- Last but not least is music!! Creating Spotify playlists are ideal for long flights. You can fill them with your favourite music and songs that are made for a calming nature and they will keep your mind occupied. Scan the above picture to have a listen to my friend and I’s Spotify playlist for heading to Bali.
I want to quickly add before I finish up this post that since I’m going to be away for two weeks, posts might drop to one per week. It really depends on how much post planning I get done but please don’t get mad at me if I miss a couple posting days! To make up for it I’ll post lots and lots of amazing Bali photos over on my Instagram!
See you Saturday!
Lot’s of good goals! I find it so hard to build Insta followers. I gain a whole bunch, then next time I look, I’ve lost a whole bunch. So frustrating!! Best of luck meeting your goals! xx
Great tips! I have a play list on my iPod especially for flying – it’s called sleepy calm plane songs – it really helps! Thanks for sharing
Music helps a lot more than anyone ever realises! Thanks for reading x
Great tips! I do most of these but have never tried those pastilles – I’ll have to give them a go.
I make sure I always wear beaded bracelets when I fly because I find it relaxing and distracting to fiddle with them during take-off and landing, which are the worst parts for me.
Also, thought I’d help with some of your numbers goals. 😉
They are quite pricey for what they are but I like them!
Oh I never thought of that, will definitely be sure to try that next time. Take off is ALWAYS horrendous!
Thank you for reading lovely! X